Red Pepper Pesto
This Pesto Recipe is super simple, quick and makes a great vegan meal that will satisfy the taste buds. Pesto is commonly made with a mixture of Basil and Spinach and some nuts with some hard cheese and plenty of olive oil. In our version we simple roasted some sweet red peppers and mixed in with them some basil, spinach, sun ripened tomatoes and some herbs to get this beautifully light, sweet and fragrant pesto.
To serve simple boil some pasta and mix it through, it really couldn’t be simpler. The beauty of Pesto is that you can also make a larger quantity and store it in a jar in the fridge. Cover with plenty of olive oil then when you have no time to cook (or just in the mood for it)…get the Jar out and mix through cooked Pasta.
- 2 Large sweet Red Peppers
- A Handful of fresh basil leaves
- A Handful of fresh Spinach leaves
- 4-5 pieces sun ripened tomatoes (from a Jar)
- ½ lime (juice only)
- 1 tsp capers
- Good quality olive oil (quantity dependant on amount)
- First preheat the oven to high to roast the peppers
- Add them to a baking tray and roast for around 20 minutes, turning once throughout (the peppers are ready when part charred.
- Leave the peppers to cook, then de-seed, de-skin and chop into rough pieces
- Add the rest of the ingredients and add about 2 tbsp olive oil.
- Switch on the blender and blend until smooth
- Continue to add more olive oil until the consistency is smooth and runny but not too oily
- Season with salt and pepper
- To serve mix through cooked pasta