We love Pizza (CLICK here to see our complete Pizza Recipe!!) and we had to share with you our home made Pizza sauce recipe. It is not very complicated and we use a similar base for Pasta Sauces, just a thicker consistency for Pizza. The base is a tomatoes and garlic with Marsala wine (we made a similar sauce as a topping for the Courgette and Tomatoe Galettes). The Marsala adds a really nice sweetness to the sauce. In the pizza sauce this sweetness is enhanced a little more by adding roasted red peppers. This also keeps the sauce thick.
You should normally add sugar to tomato based sauces to bring out the flavour of the tomatoes and take off the slightly tinny taste produced by tomato puree from a tube. In this case sugar is not necessary and you need to add some chilly powder or chilly flakes to add a kick to the sauce. Try it and let us know what you think.
Rate this Recipe
- 2 Red peppers
- Olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp sun dried tomato puree
- 1 tsp tomato puree
- 1/2 glass Marsala Wine
- 1/4 cup seived tomato puree or creamed tomatoe (or puree your own tinned tomatoes in a blender)
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp mixed herbs
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp chilli flakes
- 1/2 tsp worcestershitre sauce
- freshly chopped basil
- Preheat your oven to 200 degrees. Place the red peppers in a non-stick oven dish and lightly cover with olive oil. Bake for around 20 minutes, turning occasionally.
- Allow to cool. They will deflate.
- Peel the peppers, remove the seeds and beat in a blender until smooth. Dont worry if you have some skin on there..it all adds to the flavour! Set aside.
- Add 2 tsp of olive oil to a frying pan. Add your garlic and switch on the heat (this cooks the garlic slowly rather than burning).
- Cook your garlic for around 3 minutes then add the 2 tomato purées. Cook for a further 1 minute.
- Add the Marsala, mix and allow the alcohol to burn off for a minute or two until reduced.
- Add the puréed roast peppers, creamed tomatoes, paprika, herbs, chilli and Worcestershire sauce and combine well.
- Allow to bubble for a minute or two, check the seasoning.
- To finish, add the chopped fresh basil.
- Allow to cool before using as a Pizza topping.