Grape & Pomegranate Salmon
Salmon is a fish that works well with sweet & fruity flavours. The inspiration for this dish came from a restaurant down in Brighton which has a grape chicken dish. When we first had this we immediately thought to try it with salmon and of course add one of our favourite flavours..Pomegranate. In this case we used both fresh pomegranate and a little pomegranate molases.
So that you dont make a dish that is too fruity you have to add some savoury elements to the sauce. The sauce is basically made by reducing a little Marsala wine with the grapes and pomegranate and some vegetable stock .
Once the sauce is reduced we cooked the salmon in a frying pan adding a little of the sauce at a time to flavour and glaze the salmon. For the last 2 minutes of cooking we put the salmon under the grill to get a nice glaze.
This was all served with creamy mashed potatoes with Dill and Creme Fraiche.
Grape & Pomegranate Salmon Recipe
Rate this Recipe
- 2 salmon fillets
- 150g Red Seedless Grapes
- 1/2 Pomegranate
- 2 tsp butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp garlic puree
- 1 tsp ginger puree
- 1 tsp Pomegranate Molases
- 1/2 Cup Marsala Wine
- 1/2 tsp oyster sauce
- 1/2 Cup Vegetable Stock
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Squeeze of lime to taste
- First de-seed the pomegranate and set aside (preserve the juices as we will use those in the sauce)
- Puree the grapes in a blender and set aside
- In a frying pan add 1 tsp butter and olive oil and allow to warm up over a medium heat.
- Add the ginger and garlic and fry for 1 minute.
- Then pour over the Marsala wine and allow to reduce
- Add the Pomegranate & blended grapes, stock, oyster sauce, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper and allow to cook and reduce (approx 5 minutes).
- Strain the sauce into a bowl then add back to the frying pan, adding the other 1 tsp of butter and a squeeze of lime.
- Taste the sauce and add more salt or sugar until you have a flavour that you like.
- Once the sauce has thickened pour into a bowl.
- Season the salmon with salt & pepper.
- In the same frying pan add a little olive oil , turn up the heat and place the salmon fillets skin side down.
- Allow to fry for 2 minutes to crisp up the skin. Then begin spooning over the sauce to cover the fillets.
- Continue to cook and baste the salmon in the sauce, taking care not to break up the salmon.
- 2 minutes before the end of the salmon cooking time place under the grill to achieve a nice glaze with the sauce.
- Serve with your choice of vegetables and/or mashed potatoes