Fried Chicken Burger
So we figured it was time to start adding some healthy recipe’s to Mongoilan Kitchen. This is one of the healthiest recipe’s we have. It is deep fried chicken breasts smothered in creamy slaw in a soft white (seeded) bap.. Seriously, this is healthy for the soul (perhaps not the heart). If you love fried chicken, you will love this recipe, and if you don’t you will probably still love this recipe.
So basically you prepare a spice rub for the chicken which we infuse with some fennel seeds and also includes, garlic powder, onion powder, mixed herbs and a few other bits and bobs. This is rubbed all over the chicken then used to season the flour. You then simply dip in the egg, roll in the flour and fry. All in all within 20 minutes you could have a top notch Mongolian Fried Chicken Burger.
We also use the same recipe for making fried chicken (recipe) coming soon. As for the coleslaw, there is a recipe coming soon but on this occasion we bought some M&S fruity coleslaw and added some fresh fennel and some toasted fennel seeds. And to top it all off what better than sweet chilli sauce!
- ½ tsp fennel seeds, lightly toasted and allowed to cool
- ½ tsp sea salt (or normal salt)
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp celery salt
- ¼ tsp ground cardamom powder (or fresh cardamom seeds)
- ½ tsp mixed herbs or oregano
- a Pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)
- 2 Eggs
- 2 tsp chilli sauce
- Equal amounts of plain flour and corn flour (approx ½ cup of each for 2 chicken breasts)
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 tsp spice rub mixture
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Start off by toasting the fennel seeds and allowing them to cool
- In a pestle and mortar mix all of the spice rub ingredients until you have a fine powder
- Next beat the chicken breasts lightly with a mallet until they have spread a little but do not make them too thin
- Split the spice mixture in 2. Rub the spice into the chicken breasts making sure to cover most of them.
- In a bowl mix the egg dip mixture and beat together
- In another bowl mix the flour mixture together
- Preheat the oil in a pan/wok to around 325 Degrees F or 185 Degrees C.
- Dip the chicken breast in the egg, making sure it is covered all over (do 1 peice of chicken at a time).
- Move this over to the flour mixture and make sure you pat the chicken into the flour and rub extra flour all over it making sure all small gaps are covered (remember the flour is seasoned and goes crispy when fried so the more the better).
- Then fry in the preheated oil for approximately 7-9 minutes per peice (this will depend on the thickness).
- If the chicken is browning too fast, turn down the oil to ensure it gets cooked.
- Drain the chicken onto kitchen towels before serving in your choice of bun and toppings.