The Complete Pizza Recipe
We love Pizza at Mongolian Kitchen. For many years we have been making our own toppings but it has not been that long since we made our first Pizza base at home. Since then, we have never bought a single one of those preserved, flat pizza bases you get at the supermarkets. Now we make fluffy pizza base (its more like bread) which is irresistable. To go along with it we make our own pizza Sauce.
Dont be afraid of making your own pizza dough. Its actually rather easy to do. If you have a stand-mixer, it will take all the hard work out of it for you. You just need some flour, some seasoning. Salt & sugar and the yeast which they will feed. Mix, kneed, allow to rest in a warm area to double in size. Roll, top, bake, enjoy? The beauty of making your own Pizza is the family can get involved. Get the kids to make their own toppings!
We use a mixture of cheddar cheese and mozzarella cheese. Our Pizza sauce is made with a mixture of roasted red peppers and tomato puree to give it a sweet taste! Find the recipe for pizza sauce here. Remember you need a couple of hours for the dough to rise, so plan ahead.
Our favourite topping so far has proved to be the Tandoori chicken. We marinate the chicken breast in the tandoori masala mix and top the pizza with yohgurt as well as the cheese. The mixture of creamy greek yoghurt with the spicy chicken and fresh coriander just works!
- 1 pack instant yeast (approx 2 tsp)
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 cup warm water
- 3 cups strong white flour
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp mixed dried herbs
- 150g yoghurt
- 2 tbsp Rajah Tandoori Masala powder
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp lime juice
- salt to taste
- 2 tbsp greek yoghurt
- Fresh coriander
- dried chilli flakes
- Cherry tomatoes, halved
- Equal quantities of Mozzarella for Pizza and a mild cheddar
- Dried mixed herbs to top
- In your stand mixer or bowl, combine the instant yeast, salt, honey and warm water then mix well
- Add the oil then 1 cup of flour. Allow the mixer to combine everything well before adding the next cup of flour.
- Add your garlic and dried herbs with your second cup of flour.
- Continue until you have combined all the flour and the machine has created you a nice looking Pizza dough.
- You may want to kneed the dough a little after you take it out of the machine.
- If you are not using a stand mixer then you will need to mix everything thoroughly then kneed.
- Then, place your dough in an oiled bowl, cover with cling film and store in a warm place for 2 hours. In this time you can prepare your toppings.
- After two hours the dough should have doubled in size.
- Remove from the bowl and place on a floured worktop. Roll using a floured rolling pin to the desired size and shape.
- For the Tandoori chicken simply mix all the marinating ingredients together in a bowl, add the chicken and leave to marinate for a few hours (even better, leave over night).
- Then grill the chicken and leave to cool.
- Grate the cheese and prepare your other toppings
- Place your rolled pizza base onto the tray you will put in the oven. We recommend your get a pizza tray which has holes in it to allow the base to cook, or a Pizza stone.
- Use a ladle to pour a small amount of the Pizza sauce into the middle of the dough.
- Add your toppings, in this case we sliced the chicken breast into pieces, topped with the yoghurt, then the cheese, then coriander then dried mixed herbs
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 180 degrees for 20-30 minutes until the crust is golden and the cheese is all melted
- Remove from the oven and brush the crust with olive oil.
- If desired you may also drizzle a little olive oil on the top.