Sweet Chilli Salmon
Here’s a quick and easy recipe that we make regularly at our household. It’s quick because in its simplest form you can just get some peices of salmon and marinate them in sweet chilli sauce, then grill or bake. The sweet chilli works well with salmon and caramelises nicely under the grill to produce a striking flavour and golden colour. This makes a great mid week dinner or works well as a starter.
We made these as Kebabs, but you can marinate a whole peice of salmon. The reason we also like to make smaller chunks is so that the flavour can penetrate the salmon more when it is smaller chunks.
Rate this Recipe
- Sweet Chilli Sauce – to cover the salmon
- Salt & Pepper
- Salmon Pieces
For the sweet chilli sauce
- 2 fresh chillies, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp dried chilli flakes
- 1 tsp fresh ginger paste
- 1 tsp fresh garlic paste
- 1.5 cups rice wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup sake
- 1 tsp fish sauce
- 3 tsp white sugar
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1/2 dashi seasoning (optional)
- 2 tsp lime juice
Make the sweet chilli sauce (or use shop bought)
- In a saucepan mix together all the sauce ingredients and simmer until reduced.
- Taste for seasoning and flavour, you may need to add more sugar
- When ready, thick and gloopy allow to cool before using as a marinate or dip.
Marinade the Salmon
- In a bowl season the salmon chunks with salt and pepper, then cover with the sweet chilli sauce.
- Marinade in the fridge for a few hours, turning occasionally to ensure an even spread of flavour.
- When ready to cook, skewer the salmon peices. Cover with extra sauce and grill for about 10-15 minutes depending on the size of the salmon peices.
- Add more sauce during grilling to acheive a nice glaze.
Serve. (We served this with some beautiful new baby potatoes, simply boiled, then sautéed in butter and seasoned with salt and pepper and finished with a sprinkle of fresh parsley.)