Spicy Thai Noodles
For us, Thai red & yellow curry pastes are the most versatile cooking pastes. Yes you can also make them at home (very easily) but the ready made jars do the job quite well and are perfect for when you need to make a quick meal. You can turn out a simple red or yellow curry dish in as little as 20 minutes including preparation. And the result is as delicious and aromatic as you can get. This is a firm favourite flavour in our household and is made in both vegan and carnivorous forms!!
This recipe has a great contrast between spicy and creamy, crunchy and soft and works very well. The combination of baby corn, mange tout and red pepper keeps it tasting fresh.
Rate this Recipe
For the Sauce
- 2 tsp yellow curry paste
- 1/2 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 Clove garlic, minced
- 1 Carton coconut cream or 1 tin coconut milk (creamy variety)
- 1/2 Cup vegetable stock
- 1 tsp sugar
- Juice of 1/2 a lime
- Baby Corn, cut into small chunks
- Mange tout
- Red Pepper
- Coriander for garnish
- Thick Noodles for the filling and thin noodles for the topping
It is essential to have all your mixes, vegetables and noodles prepared because once you start frying you will probably be done in 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl mix the yellow curry paste, curry powder, turmeric and garlic.
- Prepare all your vegetables ready for later.
- Prepare the thin noodle topping. Deep fry them in hot oil for for around 20 seconds and take them out (they burn quickly)
- Place fried noodles on kitchen towels and sprinkle with a little curry powder for extra flavour
- Cook the thick noodles according to pack instructions (they normally take 4 minutes).
- Start the sauce. In a wok add the curry paste mixture to 2 tbsp oil and fry on a high heat for 30 seconds. The curry paste is ready when the oils float to the surface.
- Add the coconut cream, vegetable stock, sugar and stir.
- Stir in the vegetables and allow to boil for 3-4 minutes until cooked and sauce has thickened.
- Mix in the cooked noodles and coriander. Add the lime and taste for seasoning.
- Pour into your dish and top with crispy fried noodles.