Simple Mushroom Pie
Here we decided to rustle up a quick braised cabbage side to give a sharp alternative to the creamy mushroom.
Rate this Recipe
- Puff pastry
- Chestnut mushrooms
- Vegetable stock
- Vegetable margarine
- Salt & pepper
For the red cabbage
- 1 Shallot
- Red cabbage
- Vegetable spread
- Red wine vinegar or balsamic vinegar
- Lemon juice
Method For the Cabbage:
- Finely chop half a head of red cabbage and the shallot, place in a small sauce pan, sprinkle with sugar and soften with a little vegetable margarine on a medium heat.
- Once the cabbage and shallot have softened add a splash of madeira (optional), red wine vinegar and the juice from half a lemon.
- Cover and allow to simmer on a low heat for 20-30 minutes, add more sugar if needed.
For the Filling
- Chop two large potatoes and boil for 10 minutes with a little salt and vegetable margarine, mash with a blender to create a smooth paste.
- Slice the mushrooms and sauté in vegetable margarine, season with salt and pepper.
- Start the béchamel style sauce by melting 1 tbsp vegetable margarine (or butter) in a saucepan and adding 1 tbsp of corn flour. Cook for 2 minutes
- Prepare your vegetable stock liquid and keep warm.
- Gently add small amounts of the vegetable stock and whisk to get a smooth mixture.
- Continue whisking and adding the vegetable stock until you have a smooth and creamy mixture (if you’re not vegan you can add a splash of double cream or use milk instead of vegetable stock to make the béchamel sauce).
- Add the mashed potato mix and check the seasoning. Add the mushrooms and peas and allow to simmer gently for 2 minutes (peas should be pre-cooked and defrosted).
- Add the parsley
- If the sauce is too thick add some more vegetable stock or water. You don’t want a very thick consistency as it will thicken on standing.
- Assemble the pie as you require, either in a pie dish or flat as shown here.
- Press the edges down with a fork and spread with melted vegetable margarine. If you are not a vegan then egg wash the top for a golden crust to form.
- Bake at 180 degrees C for approx 20-30 minutes or until golden brown
- Serve with the cabbage and your choice of sautéed vegetables