What..surely that is just a Pizza? Actually no..it is a Pizza made from Tortillas. The name Pizzadilla comes from Pizza Quesadillas. We’ve made Pizza’s a few times here on Mongolian Kitchen, but after the first time we discovered Pizzadillas we rarely make pizza’s… The reason is these beauties take NO TIME at all to make.
You simply sandwich some pizza sauce and cheese between two sheets of tortillas. Add more sauce and cheese to the top layer, and cook very quickly. Since all ingredients are cooked you are only waiting for the crust to brown and the cheese to melt. In essence this is a super thin crust, stuffed base pizza.
The tortillas also crisp up nicely and form a wonderful crust..all in all you will not regret this..just try it. The recipe we are going to publish is the one we have enjoyed the most. This is a three cheese Pizzadilla with Mascarpone, red Leicester and mozzarella
- 2 Tortillas
- 100g Pizza Sauce (ready made or make your own
- 60g Mozzarella Cheese (grated)
- 30g Red leicester cheese (grated)
- 60g Mascarpone cheese
- Pepperoni slices (or toppings of your choice)
- ½ tsp mixed dried herbs
- Preheat your oven to 200 Degrees C
- First, get yourself a large frying pan (ideally non-stick) which will fit the tortillas (make sure it is an oven safe one).
- Brush the pan with a little olive oil just to coat.
- Place the first tortilla wrap in the pan and turn on the heat (medium)
- While the tortilla is "crisping up" add a light layer of tomato sauce.
- Add "dollops" of mascarpone cheese
- Top with the red leicester cheese and about a ⅓ of the mozzarella cheese
- Place the second tortilla on top.
- Add more tomato sauce then add the toppings of your choice
- Cover with the remaining mozzarella cheese and then sprinkle some dried mixed herbs on top (chilli flakes work a treat too!)
- By this time the bottom layer should have had about 3 minutes (with a spatula lift the corner to see if it has started to crisp (you want a slight crispyness to it)).
- Then place the pan in the oven or under a hot grill for a few minutes until the cheese on top has melted (and it looks like a delicious pizzadilla).