Pepper Verde Steak
Pepper Verde is that creamy sauce full of green peppercorns that you get in Italian Restaurants and steak houses. It is definately one of our favourite steak toppings (if not the favourite) hence why this recipe has made its way onto our website. The recipe is super simple and the most difficult ingredient on the list is the green peppercorns. Normally you find them in the pickled vegetables section (we get them from Tesco).
The beauty of this recipe is that it is very quickly put together and all in the 1 frying pan that you are cooking the steak in. It literally takes the same time as it takes to cook your steak and while the steak is resting the sauce is finishing. In order to give the sauce a savoury taste you also need to add some stock. We use Knorr Stock potts (beef variety) which are great for enriching sauces.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp green pepper corns, drained
- 50g butter
- ¼ cup brandy
- 1 tsp Knorr Beef Stock Pot
- ½ cup cream
- ¼ cup boiling water
- 1 handful grated red Leicester cheese
- Season your steak with rock salt.
- Pre-heat your frying pan to the highest heat and add the olive oil
- Add the steaks and cook for 2 minutes on each side to colour.
- Once the steaks have coloured remove from the heat and drain the excess olive oil (keep the flame on for the Flambéing)
- In the corner of the frying pan add the butter, pepper corns and brandy.
- Tilt the frying pan over the flame to ignite the brandy (watch your kitchen cupboards and hair!!).
- Once the brandy has gone out add the beef stock and the water bit by bit until the sauce thickens.
- Add the cream and mix through.
- Simmer the beef in the sauce, turning occasionally.
- When the steaks are ready remove from the sauce and allow to rest for 2 minutes.
- In the meantime finish the sauce by adding the cheese and allowing to melt through.
- Taste and season with extra salt/pepper as required.
- Place your steak on a pre-heated plate and top with the sauce.