Madeleine Cake Recipe
Rate this Recipe
For 12 cakes
- 2 eggs
- 65g caster sugar
- 65g plain flour
- 55g unsalted butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- A pinch of salt
- 100g icing sugar for decoration
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C and butter and flour the madeleine tin.
- Melt the butter and allow to cool.
- Using an electric blender beat the eggs, vanilla, lemon juice and zest and salt until pale and fluffy.
- Continue beating the egg mixture gradually add the sugar; beat at high speed until the mixture is pale and thick and forms ribbons in the bowl when the blender is lifted.
- Sift the flour before adding. Gently fold in a 1/3 of the quantity at a time.
- Pour the melted butter around the edge of the mixture and gently fold into the mixture.
- Spoon mixture into the centre of moulds, (leave the mixture in the centre of the mould do not smooth out, this will give the madeleines their classic hump shape)
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until the cakes are golden and the cakes spring back when lightly pressed.
- Turn out the cakes onto a rack and while still warm sprinkle with icing sugar then allow to cool.