Beetroot Brioche Buns
Recipe type: Baking
Serves: 6 buns
- 3-4 Cups strong white bread flour
- ¾ cup warm water
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1.5 tsp salt
- 50g melted butter
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 beaten egg
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cooked beetroots
- ½ tsp red food colour
- nigella seeds to sprinkle
- in a measuring jug dissolve the honey in the warm water
- Pour in your mixing bowl and add the yeast
- Stir well and leave to rest for 5-10 minutes until the yeast froths up
- In the meantime dice up the beetroot and puree with 1-2 tbsp olive oil until smooth
- Pass through a sieve (should yield about 2tbsp)
- Set aside a small amount of milk (1 tbsp) and the beaten egg to brush the outside of the brioche buns with later
- Back to the mixing bowl. Add 2 cups of the strong white flour, 2 tsp of salt, butter, milk, beaten egg and olive oil
- If using a stand mixer use a mixing paddle at first for 5 minutes to stir the mixture really well.
- The dough will be runny still but will start to become elastic.
- Mix the food colouring with the beetroot and add to the dough mixture
- Remove the mixing paddle and add a dough hook. Add another 1 cup of flour and bring the mixture together.
- Kneed for about 5 minutes adding more flour bit by bit until you have a dough ball consistency
- Continue to kneed the mixture for another 5-10 minutes until you have a springy dough ball (it is ready when you push the dough down and it bounces back).
- Place the red dough ball in an oiled glass bowl, cover with cling film and tea towels and leave to rise in a warm place (as we are in cold england, we leave it in front of the oven!).
- Once the dough has doubled take out of the bowl and slice into equal balls.
- Stick down some greaseproof baking paper with some oil to your baking tray. Shape the dough into balls of about 2.5 inches wide.
- Place all the buns on the baking tray and cover with a clean tea towel.
- Leave to proof for about 30 minutes. The brioche buns will almost double in size.
- Pre-heat your oven to 180 degrees C.
- When the brioche buns are ready to bake mix together a bit of milk and beaten egg.
- Brush the outside of the buns with the milk/egg mixture then sprinkle with the nigella seeds.
- In a small oven proof tray add some boiling water and place at the bottom of the oven (this creates steam for the buns).
- Bake in the middle of the oven for 20-25 minutes.
Recipe by MongolianKitchen.com at http://mongoliankitchen.com/beetroot-brioche-buns/